Weekend numero uno

We had the bus delivered to the house and that began our endeavor in this crazy bus life.

To get the bus from the front yard to the back was an entirely different matter. There is a driveway that connects the front of the house to back yard where an Rv pad sits, waiting for our bus. The bus is roughly 7’11 3/4″ wide but due to the weird easement between the house the two houses we couldn’t use the 8′ 1″ gate to the backyard. So yes, the (metal) fence had to come out!

tools for fence removal and rebuild

In total, we cut four fence posts. We had to lay the chainlink down instead of rolling it up because the bottom was encased in concrete. With a little bit of luck, removing everything that stuck out on the left side of the bus, and Cheyenne’s expert guidance, we finally made it into the backyard. This literally took all day long. While it doesn’t sound like it, it was a lot of work.

IMG_6957
We were stopping every few inches to double and triple check we were clear of the house and the neighbor’s air conditioning unit. We had less than an inch clearance on either side and at the back wheel wells we had even less than that… kissing the air conditioner with the rubber surround of the wheel well. We put the fence back up, connecting the cut posts by using a smaller diameter pipe bolted inside the original.

We got it in the backyard. Day one finished.

Note – We will not be going out the same way out that we came in. There are a couple chainlink fences, that aren’t attached to concrete that we will remove to get a ton of room for our eventually, freshly painted bus.

Day two!

Seats. Blake was down below the bus reaching in all the nasty crevices caked in dirt, mud, oil and whatever else made its way up there.. with Cheyenne inside the bus, with the remnants of children’s trash thrown about the interior. Did I mention that we decided to do this on the hottest day of the year? 108 with a heat index well over the high teens.. FUN!

on the left, an impact wrench to remove the seats. the right, an air hammer to remove the rivets during days 3&4.

We acquired an inexpensive pneumatic impact drill from a discount tool store

(Harbor Freight) for less than $20. This was useful about half the time with all the weird angles under the bus. In retrospect, it would have been well advised to have inside the bus with Cheyenne. It would have made her life much easier as Blake didn’t have a lot of room to crank on the nuts below with all the weird angles.
IMG_7047Next were the chair rail bolts. Let me tell from first hand experience, it was pretty gross. So many candy wrappers. This was, by far, the dirtiest we’ve gotten through this process so far. There was leftovers from the kids who rode this bus for years and so much dirt that had collected from it being stored outdoors.

IMG_6973

We closed out day two with all the seats out minus the one with the rear heater.

We think that day 1&2  was a success!

b&c